Eligibility Criteria for NGOs
The focus of the HSBC Skills for Life programme in partnership with Swades is to enable at least 30,000 disadvantaged youth to become employable and enter and sustain employment and enterprise opportunities in India in the next 5 years through skill development.
For 2017, the programme has ear-marked INR 11 crore to be disbursed as grants to NGOs for projects that skill youth and link them to employment or entrepreneurship opportunities.
The programme will initially support skill development in 9 sectors that have incremental human resource requirements. These are - Retail, Logistics, Beauty & wellness, Hospitality, Telecom, Electronic & IT hardware, IT & ITES, Healthcare and BFSI (Banking, Financial Services and Insurance).
Please ensue that the projects submitted for grant caters to sectors from the list above. Inclusion of other sectors (not mentioned above) will be a clear ground for rejection of your application.
2017 funding cycle
To be eligible to apply for this grant, the organisation
- Must be a registered not for profit entity in India (Society, Trust or a Section-25/ Section-8 company)
- Must not be a corporate foundation/ trust
- Must have a valid FCRA registration
- Must have annual reports for the last 3 years and audited financial statements for the last 3 years
- Must have filed Income Tax Returns for the last 3 years
- Does not have any pending criminal/ FCRA cases against it in court
- Must have at least a three year track record of implementing skills building projects or have been working with disadvantaged youth
And the proposal submitted
- Must benefit disadvantaged youth, defined as,
- Age: Youth between 15 - 25 years (this outer limit will be relaxed by 10 years for youth with disabilities)
- Economic profile: Is classified as (a) BPL (below poverty line) by government of India and/ or (b) belongs to a household with an annual household income of less than INR 2,00,000 per annum
- Location: situated in urban or rural areas
- Education/ experience profile: is either in school or out of school, but currently neither in formal employment (excluding self-employment) or training. Young men and women who are self- employed will be eligible provided they fall in the socio-economic profile defined above.
- Should be of a duration of 12 to 18 months.
- Must request for grant between INR 25 lakhs and INR 75 lakhs. The total budget requested should not exceed 20% of the organisation’s income/ turnover in the previous year (ie; year 2015 -16). This implies; for example, an organization with a turnover of INR 2 Crore in 2015-16 can request upto a maximum of INR 40 lakhs.
- Expenses budgeted from the grant towards capital/ infrastructure costs should not exceed 15% of the grant requested and must not be towards the construction of buildings and the purchase of land or property.
- Administration costs budgeted from the grant should not exceed 10% of the grant requested.
- Proposal should focus on linkages with industry for training and placement. At least 70% job placement is expected from the projects.
- Proposal should demonstrate standardisation to national standards in terms of curriculum.
[Kindly note, 10% of the approved grant will be retained by Swades Foundation towards third party Monitoring & Evaluation costs. Please do include this in your budget.]
Click here to download the Application Pack to apply for 2017 grant.